Is a Louis Vuitton receipt proof of authenticity of a pre-owned Louis Vuitton handbag?
Everybody loves a bargain. Who doesn’t want a near new (never used would be the best) designer handbag at half, 1/3 of the retail price, maybe even less? The tricky part is how do you know the bag for sale is authentic?
When we search on eBay, there are loads of listing advertised as “ 10000% authentic Louis Vuitton! Can provide a copy of the original receipt!” There starts the bidding war. People would pay hundreds of dollars more on that “authentic” Louis Vuitton handbag with a copy of the receipt.
Is a receipt from Louis Vuitton store really the proof of authenticity? I beg to differ. You can verify whether a handbag is a genuine Louis Vuitton bag or not by examining many parts of the bag and its accessories such as the style (has this style ever been produced by Louis Vuitton?), date code, lining, font, stitching, tags, dust bag etc. … And yes receipt can be one of them. But cunning counterfeit merchandise manufacturers know it too well that people just love to see the receipt! Recently I came across a website retailing & wholesaling replica Louis Vuitton handbags. Every replica bag comes with a date code, dust bag, box, authenticity card (no, real LV bags don’t have this), and A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL LOUIS VUITTON RECEIPT from Louis Vuitton Store. I can’t believe how sophisticated they have become nowadays!
Sounds like you’ve got everything that you wanted? The only problem is … the bag is a fake. Can you imagine that a dishonest reseller buys a truck load of these replica bags at wholesale prices then sell them to genuine buyers as “a 10000% authentic Louis Vuitton bag”? And yes, many people will believe it and happy to pay more for the bag because the seller has the receipt from Louis Vuitton Store! Horrified?… I am.
While buying a preowned LV bag, it is a must that you get your money’s worth and that the product you buy is genuine. The best way to ensure this is to learn the product you are buying. Some non-genuine sellers may try to convince you by saying “comes with original receipt”. Well, they can give you an original receipt but sell you a fake bag.. Also remember that a receipt can easily be counterfeited and the presence or absence of one does not in any way tell you whether the bag is genuine or not.
How to recognise a genuine Louis Vuitton receipt.
- A genuine Louis Vuitton receipt would be on watermarked paper and it would be shorter than an A4 page
- The LV store address is located on the top left hand corner of the receipt
- Verify whether the store address given in the receipt actually exists
- It should also have the name of the sales person who sold the bag as well as the complete contact details of the buyer down at the bottom
On a separate note, for contractors, freelancers, owner-operators, creatives, and other small business owners who want to find an easy way to invoice customers, check out Zintego.com.
More blog posts on Designer Handbag Guide.
- Louis Vuitton Date Code Interpretation
- Does Louis Vuitton Bag Come With Authenticity Card?
- How To Care For Louis Vuitton Bags
- Louis Vuitton Artsy Bag Date Code
- Spot The Difference? Louis Vuitton Alma Bag
- Louis Vuitton Keepall Guide
- What Size? Louis Vuitton Neverfull Bag Size Review
- How To Buy Preowned Louis Vuitton