I’ve been try to break my old habit of getting up really late, skipping breakfast, never ever exercising and keeping eating until I’m about to burst… Change is never easy especial when we are trying to change for better. Sticking to the new good habits for the rest of your life is even harder but change is possible. Don’t forget: you have the ability to create the life that you want, to get the results you desire. Are you struggling with change? Here are a few ways to help make those good habits you’ve developed easier to stick:
- Start simple and keep it simple. Don’t be too ambitious with your goals. Don’t try to develop all the good habits at once. If you do, you’ll probably overwhelm yourself and give up very soon.
- Be consistent. Once you decided to change one habit, take action and commit to it everyday. Don’t give up after one attempt and try again a few months later when you feel motivated again.
- Stay focused. When it gets hard and you want to give up, remind yourself why you want to change at the first place.
- Know the pain. Be aware of the fact that it’ll never be a smooth run. There will be obstacles and challenges along the way. Think ahead about what your potential obstacles will be and how you are going to handle the situation.
- Banish excuses. Whenever we want to make consistent effort to change, the lazy part of our brain will come up with plenty of excuses to persuade us to stay in the old ways. Debate with yourself and don’t let the excuses get in the way! If you want to make getting up at 6am every morning a habit of yours, don’t allow bad weather, late night, bad mood etc to be the excuses for you to sleep in.
- Regular review. Keeping remind yourself what is important and what’s need to be done. Review your progress and keep going!